Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lesson Learned



So, my mother's birthday snuck up on me (June 12) and I HAD to make a cake. (Of course)! So I rummaged through what I already had in the house and came up with this. I am fairly embarrassed to share these pictures with you, as they are atrocious, but I wanted to share a lesson I learned.
1. The last 3-4 Betty Crocker brand cake mixes that I have made up have been extra crumbly and really hard to work with. I think I'll probably stick to Duncan Hines.(Pillsbury cake mixes also give a difficult texture to work with when icing).

2. DO NOT USE WHIPPED ICING FROM A CAN! I didn't have any powdered sugar, so I could not make my own, so I used the canned stuff. BIG MISTAKE! The texture is impossible to pipe with. It is too sticky to smooth out well, and no matter how much practice you take you will always end up with peaks on your piped letters. It just will not let go of the icing still in the bag.

Lesson learned recap: make your own icing!

No comments: