Sunday, July 10, 2011

I got a Job!

Alright, so most  of you already know this, but I got a teaching job! Remember way back when I posted about my "upcoming" interview at O'Leary Middle School in Twin Falls, ID? Well, that interview went really well. I thought I had the job in the bag. I got a call a couple of days later with an Idaho area code, and I got excited. It was not the principal of O'Leary, but it was a principal. The high school (Twin Falls High School) was also looking for a FACS teacher. I ended up doing a spur of the moment phone-interview with Twin Falls High School. I guess the principal at O'Leary had called the principal at TFHS and told him he should call me. I was not so sure I did very well. I hate phone interviews because you can't tell how the other person is reacting to what you are saying. I thought it was nice that he called, but I wasn't expecting it to go anywhere. They next day I felt like I needed to call the TFHS principal and ask if I could come up and meet him in person. So, I made a second trip up to Idaho. This time by myself! This was the first time I had driven for more than an hour with just myself in the car. The most impressive part is that my car had (well still has) no air conditioning. After meeting with Mr. Allen, the principal, and seeing the FACS classroom, I drove down to Hagerman and spent the night with the Hoffmanns. My cousin Heather and I went looking at houses the next day, (just in case).

The next week I interviewed in Bountiful. I was actually really excited about Bountiful, and had almost forgotten about either Twin Falls school. That afternoon I got a call from O'Leary Middle School, and they turned me down. I was a little let down, but I still needed to hear from other schools, and I was OK with it. A couple of hours later I got a call from the Twin Falls School District offering me the TFHS job! I was overwhelmed! I told them I would think about it and ended the call. I was really waiting to hear back from Bountiful, because it is closer to my parents. They called in the next 20 minutes and turned me down. I was a tiny bit disappointed, but not too much. I called Twin Falls back and accepted. And the rest is history. I have taught the past year at Twin Falls High School. I have learned a lot, laughed a lot, cried a lot, grown several grey hairs, and managed to just barely survive my first year teaching. I can't wait for next year!

No comments: